Unemployment Challenge – What to do
Ok so I have been trying to get a blog out to all those who will read and hopefully respond, I noticed I was a bit surprised at the response I had from my last Blog: Zero, Zip, None. Does anyone other than me believe any of this stuff is really happening?
UNEMPLOYMENT:
I know the unemployment rate hovers around 10%. That number does not include those who (for what ever reason) cannot collect unemployment benefits. I think a fair number off the top of my head would be the true number of unemployed in this country is about 15% (which probably makes the increase for African Americans even higher). Now this is just a guess, but at least I am making a guess at the figure, the government either does not even know they are out there or is not interested in sharing the information.
Big concern: During Christmas every gift I received was made in China. Ok so China was making some of our products that could be made quite easily here in the USA, but the list of countries that manufacture for companies located in the USA are China, Vietnam, Mexico and Honduras.
We are not just talking about a small amount of manufacturing companies who only make products used by Americans. We are talking about manufacturing companies overseas who employ 10s of thousands of their people. Nike (located overseas – Vietnam to be sure) for example is one such company.
Just take the time to go into the following stores and find out how many items are made in America, it would be easier to count this one than to count the number of items made outside of the USA.
WALMART, KMART, JCPENNY’S, BEST BUY, STAPLES, HOME DOPET, KOHLS, and the list goes on and on.
Just a few things make me really angry.
The unemployment rate would drop if USA companies would consider the following:
-Bring back just half of the businesses they ship overseas to the USA, and agree that greed should not be the basis for taking out of this country what belongs here. How many billions does one have to make.
-The celebrities should stop lending their name to the products. And if they agree to lend their name it should be clear that the product has to be made in the USA. Companies need them to sell their product.
-American’s have to buck up and understand that things have changed and the sprit of the country has to take front row seat to the unions and the need to make more money than they need to have.
-Companies have to buck up as well. Where do they draw the line at profit. Profit should be built on what is good for the country and it’s people and the ability facilitate the needs of all three.
-Someday I would just like to use toothpaste that is not made in Mexico or some other foreign country.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is also huge on my ANGER list. Unfortunately there seems to be very little to balance unbridled lust for material-wealth....oh, except values. And companies that operate in ways that are mindful of what's good for the country generally value more comminuty concerns and fewer selfish concerns. So what I think is missing from the operating standards of most of these companies are the values of responsible citizenship: a sense of responsibility for taking an active role in positively contributing to the well-being and economic health of the community. This of course requires a big-picture, long-term perspective. I think that greed stems from a very narrow minded, self-centered, immediate-gratification perspective. But that's just MY perspective. Thanks for listening. :-) Love, Gavett'
ReplyDelete